I Couldn't Help but Wonder...

Carrie's Questions from Sex and the City

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Can you ever really forgive if you can't forget?

Episode 4.7/55, "Time and Punishment"

Although I didn't list any in my top five, I think that the fourth season episodes covering Aidan's return are some of the best. Now Aidan isn't my favorite--I'm a big Big fan--but there's something about all of these episodes that works. I like this one because you get a deeper sense of Aidan as a character, from his integrity--helping the naked, immobilized Miranda off the bathroom floor--and his indignation--passive-aggressively brushing Carrie off. Do people ever really forgive and forget? Neither is very simple. I think it is definitely possible to forgive, but perhaps not forget. That just doesn't seem humanly possible to me. Instead of forgetting, there must be a constantly conscious choice to ignore what happened, without retribution, whether direct or indirect. Making this choice can be a powerful personal action, and over time, whatever happened may eventually fall to the background.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home